Passport Photo for Canada
Requirements (source: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/photos.aspx?lang=eng)
photos must be:
- taken by a commercial photographer.
- 50 mm wide X 70 mm high (2 inches wide X 2 3/4 inches long) and
sized so the height of the face measures between 31 mm (1 1/4 inches)
and 36 mm (1 7/16 inches) from chin to crown of head (natural top
- clear, sharp and in focus. Photos may be in colour or in black and
- taken with a neutral facial expression (eyes open and clearly visible,
mouth closed, no smiling).
- taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows, glare or flash
- taken straight on, with face and shoulders centered and squared
to the camera.
- taken in front of a plain white or light-coloured background with
a clear difference between your face and the background.
- Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tones.
- original photos that are not altered in any way or taken from an
- reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 12 months).
- professionally printed on plain, high quality photographic paper
(photos printed at home and photos printed on heavy weight paper are
The following must be included on the back of one photo: the name and
complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken.
The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on
labels are unacceptable. your guarantor clearly write: "I certify this
to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)" and sign his or her name
(unless you are applying to renew a passport, as no guarantor is necessary
Number of photos you need
You must submit 2 identical and unaltered photos with each passport application.
Get your guarantor to sign 1 of your photos
What the back of 1 photo should look like
On the back of 1 photo
- the photographer must clearly write or stamp the
- date the photo was taken
- name and complete address of the photo studio
- your guarantor must
- clearly write “I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)” for an application
- sign the back of the photo